Monday, March 30, 2009

For the Love of Applique

About a year ago, I took my first applique class. I am fascinated by the Baltimore style of applique and it was my dream then and still is now to make a quilt in this style. I learned a lot in this class. Gabriel was a great teacher who took some extra time with me as I was the only novice in a class of experienced stitchers. She was actually the one who encouraged me to sign up for the class.

We were exposed to many different styles and methods of applique, not only to be made aware of them but to also help us determine the method that best suited our individual needs. My ambition after taking the class was to take one of my painted still life designs and to try to adapt it to applique.

The design I had in mind was featured in the November 2005 issue of the decorative painting magazine, Paint Works...



and I called it "F" is for Fruit because it was painted on a reproduction tin plate that had the raised letters of the alphabet embossed on it's rim.



Because I love working with wool, I decided that was probably the best way to go for this first attempt. I took out my ever-growing stash of wool and decided on the appropriate colors for each element in the design. I cut them out, chose a background fabric and was on my way.



I affixed all the elements to the background fabric using Steam-a-Seam 2.


Here is a closeup of my original painting. Can you notice any similarities? (Humor me here).


And next is the completed stitched rendition. From the outset, I wasn't sure how it would turn out and approached it as a trial run. I was pleased with the results and decided to turn it into a throw pillow.


I thoroughly enjoyed recycling my design and it worked up effortlessly using the wool. My next attempt will be using fabric and the needle turn method of applique.

Happy stitching!

20 comments:

Dorothy said...

Your applique pillow looks wonderful Kaaren.

Abby and Stephanie said...

You're a new appliquer? Your wool applique is beautiful. I've learned a couple different methods and found needle turn worked best for me...I love applique but do not like doing it! I have not worked with wool yet either but love seeing all of the wool projects. Very inspiring.

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Hi Kaaren,
This is just beautiful...you are an expert in any form of art. You're really inspiring me to try applique.
~Karen~

crafty diane said...

Very lovely applique! Needle turn is my favorite kind of applique. I love doing it although it has been awhile since I have done any type of applique.
Blessings,
Diane

Julie said...

lordy! you are just so talented kaaren! another beautiful work of art - well done!
julie x

Cindy said...

And this is your FIRST attempt at wool applique? Kaaren, your wool applique turned out wonderful!

Dolores said...

You've done a wonderful rendition in wool of your painting Kaaren. When I first started reading your blog entry, I thought "Why doesn't she just do something original with all her talent?" and lo and behold, as I read further, that's just what you did. How about your own version of a Baltimore style appliqued quilt?

Sherri said...

The wool applique' is gorgeous...and I love how you've used inspiration from your painting for a quilting project!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

wow, you sure did do it!!! looks just like the picture,and I love the wool,very nice job!!

Pat said...

You did a great job. Your pillow is beautiful!

Karen said...

Just beautiful Kaaren! Do you wash your wool before using it? Most of the wool I have is 80% wool, 20% nylon. When you cut it, it does not fray. I have some others (not sure of wool percentage), that fray a little on the edges after cutting and they are a looser weave.

Carrie P. said...

Oh it is perfect! Love the little cherries.

Sara said...

ummm....WOW! That is incredible. It looks wonderful and I am amazed! Great job!

Loris said...

What a great idea! I love the wool.

Wanda said...

It looks great Kaaren, just as all your creations do. Can't wait to see the needle turn version. Wanda

Janet said...

You are so lucky you have such a great teacher who is prepared to show all the different ways to applique. That way, everyone is bound to find a method to suit. The wool applique looks just lovely.

Kate/Massachusetts said...

Kaaren, your applique pillow is incredible! It is just beautiful! You are so talented!

Nanette Merrill said...

Well I have not attempted much layered applique so I really have to give it to you. This was brave and beautiful.

Candace said...

Kaaren - what a wonderfully perfect first applique! You are one talented woman - the sky is the limit!
Cheers!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a great thing to have that pillow designed after your gorgeous artwork. Just wonderful Kaaren. And now I get to look forward to your tutorial!!