Saturday, March 28, 2009

You can never have too many...

Yesterday my friend Lucie and I got together again to sip tea, stitch and once more solve the problems of the world. The day before, while flipping through old magazines, we came across a project explaining how to make tomato pincushions.

"Tomato pincushions?" I cried. "We've got to make some!"

They looked easy enough to make so we read the directions, made notes on dimensions, cutting instructions and the supplies needed and agreed to meet at Lucie's at 9:30 a.m. the next morning.

I arrived on time with all my paraphernalia in tow. We had cut the fabric ahead of time in order to save time and to be able to get down to business right away. Lucie made a fresh pot of tea and we were set to go. Tomato pincushions...yes!

They were surprisingly easy to make and by 11:30 a.m. we had each completed three of them.

Here are the 'fruits' of my labor...



to compliment a few from my collection of antique ones...


and a few more scattered about.

What better way to spend a morning than with friends, stitching and drinking tea?

The moral of this story? You can NEVER have too many pincushions!

Happy stitching!


22 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

How fun to craft with a friend. Pincushion collections are popping up everywhere. :o)

Julie said...

aaw, they're lovely kaaren. i don't have many pincushions, but my favourite one has pride of place on my shelf above my sewing machine. it actually sits next to a rather pretty bunny. it's just too precious for me to dare stick a pin in it. a very special friend made it for me and i treasure it! *wink*
big hugs,
julie xoxo

Rumi said...

What fun!

Lurline said...

Oh, I love - thanks for the encouragement and inspiration! What fun you had!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Emma Loves Stitching said...

Love the tomato pin cushions they're so sweet!!

Cindy said...

Kaaren, What fun pincushions! Seamstresses/Quilters can never have too many - and there are so many cute patterns for them anymore.

PS - I've seen you comment on several blogs that we both visit and I figured it was high time I visited yours to drop a line or too. Beautiful blog, Kaaren.

Blessings.

Jocelyn said...

How cool is that? I have seen so many pincushion collections lately. But the Tomato cushion is the grand lady of them all. What a fun project.

ranette said...

Very cute pincushions! I seem to have a thing for them lately. I made a tomato one in 8th grade home-ec, I'll have to see if I can dig it out.

Annette said...

I didn't know a tomato could be cute...but these are. Sounds like a fun relaxing time with your friend.

Neabear said...

I never thought about having pincushions just to have pincushions. Now that I am blogging I am seeing some really cute ones. Guess I better make some for myself to scatter around my sewing area.

Sherri said...

Those pincushions are wonderful! I agree that you can never have to many!How fun to be able to make them with a friend!

Carrie P. said...

Thanks for sharing those tomato pincushions. So cute. Love the fabrics especially the swirly one.

Allie said...

Adorable! I can't believe I don't have a tomato pincushion - must rectify that immediately!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

You are so right! you can never have enough, they are just darling!! what a fun morning, friends, fabric, food!!!

Sara said...

What beautiful pincushions! I love pincushions, but alas, don't have that many! And sewing with a friend is always a good thing!

Janet said...

I agree about the pincushions. There's nothing better than a fun sharing project with a friend! I loved the job you did with the santas by the way! I was too late to get in on that one!

Jodi Nelson said...

Love them all! The ones you made, the "vintage" ones too! Very cool! ooxx`jodi

Diane H said...

When I was a teenager my sister took me to Chinatown in Toronto for the day. I bought a brightly coloured satin pincushion with little "chinese men" holding hands surrounding it. It is well worn now but still a lovely reminder of that very special day spent with my sister. Glad you had a special day too.

Quiltgal said...

Great Blog, I too love Pincushions!

Kate/Massachusetts said...

Your tomatoes are luscious! lol Do you know if that magazine is still available or if there is an online tutorial for making them? I think they would be a great project for "party gifts" or guild fundraisers. Love your work Karen! It is inspirational. I've got to check everyday to see what you're up to!

Karen said...

Love, love the tomato pincushion!

Cathi said...

What a fantastic tutorial -- I can't wait to try it out! Maybe this weekend.