Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Interrupted Progress

I can’t tell you how much I’m enjoying my newest x-stitch project.  I think what excites me the most is the fact that I’m able to do it.  Never in my widest dreams did I think I’d ever be able to even attempt something like this and the fact that it’s actually taking shape before my eyes is a triumph in itself.

SAM_0061

The first of the four designs that make up the needle case is done.  I started on the second design on Sunday morning, filling in time while waiting for the Canada/USA Olympic gold medal game when…

 needlenthread

An idea popped into my head for  another FFF (First Friday Freebie) design.  Although the design that was intended for this month’s FFF is complete and ready to go, I grabbed my sketch pad and came up with a new design.  I finalized the design yesterday and started stitching it last night.  Hopefully I’ll be able to complete it today, write up the instructions, PDF it and have it ready for this Friday which is the First Friday of the month.  Needless to say my x-stitching has been put on hold for a couple of days.

 needlenthread

Did you all watch the Canada/USA hockey game on Sunday?  I think that even non-hockey fans tuned in, at least for a portion of the game.  I have been a hockey fan for most of my life.  Being the middle child sandwiched between two brothers, I had no choice but to grow up loving sports.  My older brother was a professional football player and my younger brother’s son is a professional hockey player and his younger brother is following in his footsteps, playing NCAA college hockey at the present time.

 needlenthread

Although I was born in Canada, due to my father’s job, we spent half our lives living in the United States.  I wasn’t two weeks old when we moved to Michigan and didn’t return to Canada until I was ten years old.   Four years later my Dad’s job took us back to the US.  I guess what I’m trying to say is that I was cheering for both teams and the game was so close, it could have gone either way.  One team had to be declared a winner and in this instance, it was Canada and by doing so, they set a record for the most gold medals ever won by one country at the winter Olympic games.  Woo hoo!

 needlenthread

That in a nutshell explains why when you walk into my Canadian home, you will be greeted with a lot of red, white and blue memorabilia.

The den…

SAM_0064

The foyer/hallway leading into my studio…

SAM_0066

A close up of the sampler style hooked rug that I designed and was hooked by a gal in Berlin, Ohio as a tribute to9/11.   This is one of my most favorite things.

SAM_0067

Continuing down the hall…

SAM_0069

And on the opposite side…

SAM_0068

SAM_0071

Thanks for joining me on my stroll down memory lane today.  I’d better get back to my stitching because time’s a-wasting and Friday will be here before we know it.

Happy stitching!

Kaaren ♥

26 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I think we all learned a lot about our Canadian neighbors during the last two weeks. I've always thought of Canada being so far away (I live in Florida), but the Winter Olympics showcased the Canadians warmth and welcoming spirit of our neighboring country. Thanks for your little tour.

Darlene said...

Thank you so much for your tour through your home - it's delightful and so YOU. :-) I can't remember enjoying watching the Winter Olympics so much. I was thrilled when an American won a medal but just as excited when a Canadian won, as well. Kindred spirits?

Now, I'm excited about your new FFF - hurry Friday's is just around the corner. teehee

Abby and Stephanie said...

Thank you for the Red, White, and Blue tour of your beautiful home. I spied the Hoosier cabinet. Yes, the hockey game was very exciting and a wonderful win by the host nation.

Linda said...

Hi Kaaren.........Yes, that game was exciting and both teams should be very proud of themselves. More and more I keep hearing how friendly and courteous Canadians are and I have so enjoyed "meeting" so many through blogging. I learned so many interesting facts about your country because of the Olympics. I will need to plan on visiting some day.
BTW....love all of your pics!
Linda/simplycountryseasons

Diane said...

We are big hockey fans! Living in Pittsburgh with the Penguins made the final game so much fun! How else could the USA lose but to "our own" Sidney Crosby scoring in OT!!
I too, felt I learned a lot about Canada--beautiful; country, people everything. And we now know the words to the Canadian N Anthem too! Good job!
I so enjoyed watching the competitions...from the favorites to the unknowns. What a great 2 weeks. My tv can go collect dust again now.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the wonderful tour through your home....Love it! You have a beautiful style...so warm and inviting!

scarlett said...

Hi, I just recently discovered your blog. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a little unsure how to even comment here.

On your photo header, on the top row, second from the right is a large shelf with pegs. Where did you get it. I'd like to hang some small child/doll chairs and think something like that would look nice. I'd appreciate any help. thanks, Scarlett

Nanette Merrill said...

Lovely photos. Loved the tour.

Rita said...

I really enjoyed the Winter Olympics this year. We are a very sports oriented family and truly enjoyed the hockey game.

Sharon said...

Your xstitch is coming along. I tried to work on my hexi's but the game got the better of me! How exciting, and Sid the Kid getting the golden goal. Well, as a Canadian living/working in the U.S. I take some ribbing about hockey. But everyone was tuned in and I think they have more appreciation of the game that "isn't football".

Deb said...

Loved the tour of your house! Such lovely things! I'm glad that you're having so much stitching your design. It looks fantastic! Never doubt yourself! And I thought the hockey game was a real nail biter especially before the overtime! I'm part Canadian, my father was born in Sarnia, so I wasn't sure which way to cheer. But having been born here, I did root a little harder for the US! But just as thrilled that Canada won.

Valentina said...

As a Canadian abroad i felt very close and proud especially seeing my very young sons woohoo-ing and shouting 'Canada- mama!' every time they show the Maple leaf. They wouldn't take off their hockey pj's and wore them to school underneath their uniforms!
Thanks for the lovely tour, thank you working on our Friday stitchery, and thank you for being such a constant source of inspiration!
Valentina from Cyprus

Carrie P. said...

Love seeing your home. You have so many talents.
I can't believe the Olympics are over. It was great to watch this year and so glad they finally got some snow.
Can't wait to your FFF. Don't over do it and get tendonitis!

Maggey and Jim said...

I love all things in your house and it must be lovely.. Thanks for sharing.
Maggey

Anonymous said...

Your cross-stitch looks beautiful. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Thank you for the tour, Kaaren. Your home is lovely. Having grown up in the mid-Atlantic, your home reminds me of a Lancaster, PA area home and furnishings with a little mix of the mid-west. Love your Hoosier cabinet!

I'm looking forward to FFF, too!
Thanks for sharing your talents.

Allie said...

Wow, you're doing really well on your x-stitch! It's looking very lovely. Can't wait to see the design you've come up with!

I know what you mean about the game. My great great greats came to Canada from Ireland and founded a small town. Both sets of grandparents came to Michigan for auto-related jobs, and we've lived here ever since. For me, traveling in Canada is NOT like being in a foreign country...it's just another home. I didn't know who to root for on the game, lol! Wasn't it so exciting! We are huge hockey fans.

I love everything in your house. Everything!

Janet said...

It's so nice to come and visit your corner of the world. Go Canada! I didn't watch the game but saw the highlights. Fast and furious! Love your progress on the x stitch, you go girl.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Your home is beautiful. even though I am from the USA, I was still happy to see your team win!
Looking forward to Fridy's post!

Joanne said...

I came to see how your stitching is coming. It's beautiful ! It is so magical watching the art come to life on the blank canvas with needle and thread !!

Thank you for sharing your home ! It is so warm and welcoming ! That must be who you are.

Pieced Pastimes said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. Also, the information on antiquing will come in very handy. That's funny about rooting for both sides. My father is actually from PEI - he moved to the USA when he was just 16. We used to go to the 'island' every summer when I was a child - long before the bridge was built. Fond memories!

Stina Blomgren said...

Ohhh.. Kaaren.. so exciting... I will sit on needles until Friday to see what you have come up with...
I love your home.. it is so welcoming...just wonderful..:o) Thankyou for showing it!!!

Cathi said...

Your cross-stitch is coming along beautifully!!
I'm looking forward to Friday now -- very curious to see what design took you down a new path! :-)

Siobhán said...

Why did I think you lived in Pennsylvania?! LOL That's neat that you have ties to both places, the US & Canada. My heart beats true for the red, white, and blue, but I have a special affinity and love for the green, white & gold of the Irish flag, too. ;) So, I understand! We have dear Canadian friends and really, with hockey being THE Canadian game, I was glad to see that the gold went to Canada, if it wasn't won by the US team. It was a great game all around, and both teams should be proud of how they played.

Your stitching looks EXCELLENT!! Good for you, Kaaren!

Janet said...

Love the new header and the visit to your home. I have to confess that as an American, I was rooting for the Canadians to win. Let's face it, all our best hockey players come from Canada anyway.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

We really enjoyed the last hockey game and I'm really grateful the BBC broadcasted the whole thing...It was a brilliant way to end the games!

AMIT said...

Wow thats really good that you are enjoying it.

free classified india