Monday, May 2, 2016

Quilt-A-Long Instructions

Please read through this post so we know where we stand with respect to sewing along together while we make this gorgeous quilt.

I would just like to reiterate that I did NOT design this quilt.  The photo below came through on one of my Facebook feeds just as it is and as soon as I saw it, it 'stopped me in my tracks' and I knew that I just had to make one.  No credits were given as to the designer but as you can see, it's a fairly simple design and was very easy to draft out on paper.  The measurements I chose to use are those that I feel comfortable with and my intentions are to end up with a quilt being either a very generous queen or even a king.



The instructions or guidelines that I am giving you are the ones I'm using to make my own version.  This is NOT an instructional pattern like one you would have to pay for that would give you step-by-step instructions or 'teach' you how to make the quilt.  It's not a difficult quilt to make and I would rate it at an intermediate level.  Having said that, some quilting experience is required.

How long it takes you to make yours is up to you.  I suggest that you take your time and enjoy the journey because there's definitely a lot of cutting and piecing.  Depending on my progress, I'll probably post some photos every couple of days till it's done and of course, we'd all like to hear and see about yours as well.

The size of your quilt will be your decision.  My initial plan is to make mine to finish at 102" x 88" but that could change.  Having said that, I really suck when it comes to figuring out how much fabric will be needed for just the quilt top.  If you're aiming for optimum size then would suggest a minimum of 4 yards of yellow and 5 yards of white to be on the safe side.  Too much fabric is better than running out, right?  *wink*  You can always make pillow cases or shams with the leftovers!

Now at this point, you might want to grab a cup of tea or coffee because a heavy dose of step-by-step photos follows.

If you've had trouble in the past lining up your squares so that the corners 'perfectly' match, you might want to have a quick look at and refer to this 'nesting squares' tutorial for some hints.  

Click on the link HERE.

Sew, let's get started.


To download and print the PDF file, please click HERE.  It is my suggestion that you keep the layout grids close by to refer to for color placement.  Even though I made the charts, they certainly helped me when laying out pieces for piecing. I even put them in a plastic sleeve because I found them easier to handle that way.



My instructions and diagrams are all hand written and drawn.  I don't have any fancy-schmancy programs to give them that 'professional' look and hopefully you'll be able to understand them.



I started with cutting 28 strips @ 2 1/2" x WOF (width of fabric) of each of the yellow and white fabrics.  You will need more but this will get you started with enough strips to complete the first two rows or sections of the quilt.




I love my Creative Grids rulers.  Look closely at the line where the almost center of the ruler sits on top of the left outside edge of the fabric.  The 2 1/2" line is marked and easy to see making cutting that much easier...and they don't slip or slide!


Referring to the grid for placement, piece seven strips together starting and ending with the yellow strips using a 1/4" seam allowance.


Subcut into 2 1/2" strips.  You should be able to get 16 pieces from one pieced set.


Repeat the above step, this time starting and ending with the white strips at the top and bottom.


Subcut these into 2 1/2" strips as well.


Referring to the layout grid, piece together 5 - 7 strips x 7 strips blocks, alternating the strips to form a checkerboard pattern.  

Did you notice that my walker has a secondary use as a prop?
From the white fabric, cut 71 sashing strips @ 3 1/2" x 14 1/2".  You should be able to cut three from each WOF strip.


Connect the five blocks together with a sashing strip, adding one to each end as well.





Using the same method as above, piece together 3 sets of 1 1/2" x WOF yellow and white strips and 6 sets white and yellow strips to make 42 - 3 1/2" unfinished nine patch cornerstone blocks.


Subcut into 1 1/2" strips and use the same piecing method to make the nine patches as for the larger checkerboard squares.  Refer to the layout grid for color placement.


Piece together 5 sashing strips, starting and ending with a nine patch cornerstone block.


Sew these to the top and bottom of each checkerboard row to connect the rows.


After I completed two sections, I took this photo on our queen size bed just to give you an idea of size.  It is centered on the bed and as you can see, there is ample drop on both sides.  


Then just continue adding sections until you reach the size of quilt that is suitable for your needs.

Sew...

Are you having fun yet?

Ready, set...

S-E-W!

Oops, I forgot...ya gotta cut first!


Happy stitching!

32 comments:

Dee said...

Thank you for sharing Kaaren. This looks like a great simple quilt to do in between Farmers Wife 1930's and the Splendid Sampler

Lesley said...

Looks like an excellent tutorial. Your quilt is looking beautiful, so fresh and clean. Will look forward to seeing it finished. Thanks for sharing!

barcord said...

Thank you so much Kaaren. I cant wait to get started.

Quilting Babcia said...

Your instructions are so clear, I'm printing them out and sharing with our quilt ministry group, who are mostly very new quilters. This will be wonderful practice for all of us, both in the cutting and piecing. I'll make mine in a butter yellow too, my favorite color! Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial.

sue bennett said...

Your directions are really clear. Now to decide the color I want to use. Thank you for sharing.

Chris said...

Thank you for doing this for us, Kaaren. This will be really fun to make. I see more of these in my future with grandchildren graduating and marrying.

Jane said...

Thanks for sharing Kaaren!!! I've printed mine off....now to get some fabric!!!

Amy R said...

Thanks so very much for sharing!

paulette said...

This was a ton of work for you Kaaren and I THANK YOU!! Your quilt is already looking magnificent!! My lawn chair has been moved to sit beside the mailbox...in the hopes of receiving my fabric faster!! Hope it works!! All the best and thanks again!
Paulette

Jeanne said...

Thank you, Kaaren! Your directions are clear and easy to follow. I've printed and saved. Yours is looking great!

Karen said...

Thank you for taking the time to do all this for us. Your instructions are great. I haven't done any sewing in a few months, but I think this is the ticket to get me back into my sewing room. I love the yellow, but I have an old jelly roll I'd love to use up, so I think mine will be scrappy, if that's okay?

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to write your instructions down. What a motivator you are! Never thought of scrappy like Karen mentioned above, but I think mine needs to be yellow, too. I truly appreciate your generosity!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great quilt, Kaaren. It is a simple but very effective design. You as usual, are generous to share all your instructions in such a clear manner. And what a pretty finish it will be!

Marjorie (Broomfield) Guindon said...

Thanks so much Kaaren...I gotta try to make one. So pretty. :)

Kathleen said...

Thank you for taking the time to provide the directions for this beautiful quilt...

Sil said...

Thank you for the tutorial. It's a great quilt!

HeatherBell said...

Thanks--these directions and drawings are just terrific, and much appreciated.

Barbara said...

Thank you for such great instructions and even more inspiration. I have my fabric (yellow of course) and am trying to resist starting this now and work on finishing some other projects. Nah. Gotta go start cutting!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Wow! SO fast. It is looking lovely.

sunny said...

Thanks so much! I think I'm going to make a smaller version, and I have to wait until Wednesday to get my fabric when I get a nice discount at LQS. But now I have a plan and I ready to roll. I've ebated over using another color, but keep coming back to yellow. :-)

Phyllis said...

Thank you so much for the great directions. The quilt looks lovely. Can't wait to get started.

Teatime Creations said...

Thank you. I have wanted to stitch a red & white quilt for a long time. Your pattern should be perfect.

Rosa said...

The quilt looks so beautiful .Thanks for the tips and tutorial.

nana54reading said...

Thank you so much for sharing this quilt with others. I am so excited to get started.

Janet O. said...

It is gonna be BE-autiful!!

moosecraft said...

Simply beautiful! I've downloaded the pdf to make at a later date (maybe summer?)... thanks so much!

Libby said...

Thanks so much for the quilt instructions - can't wait to get started.

Love, love, love it...........

Jackie said...

Beautiful quilt! Thank you for sharing your instructions....

Ruthie's Place said...

Thank you so much Kaaren for your generosity.
Warm hugs,
Ruthie

Jackie said...

This is just adorable. Thank you very much for sharing the pattern.

Katherine said...

So pretty! Thanks for sharing!

Carole said...

Lovely quilt! You are always so generous with your creative talent! Thank you! Have you thought of working with EQ? I love EQ, it allows me to create patterns and it determines the amount of fabric I'll need. Just a thought!