Friday, March 27, 2015

Still plugging away!

I finished piecing the nine blocks for my Down in the Garden quilt.

  
I'm going to stay the course until I can officially call it a flimsy.  I still have to stitch the appliqued elements to some of the blocks and I want to change and add a few more things that are different from the original design.

This is a photo of Leanne Beasley's original design.  By the time I am finished mine, it will look entirely different from hers.


"Down in the Garden" by Leanne Beasley
I'm absolutely thrilled with the fabrics I used from Kim Diehl's Vintage Farmhouse line.  I "found" them after I had chosen the colors of floss to use for the stitchery blocks.  It has turned out to be the perfect 'marriage made in heaven'.

Why?

Allow me to explain.

If I can share with you a little knowledge or offer a piece of advice that I used to share with my art/painting students and that is if you stick with colors that you like and that are within your comfort zone, you will very seldom go wrong when it comes to selecting the colors and fabrics in your quilting endeavors.  

I used the same palette of 10 colors in all my artwork for over 20 years.  Rarely, if ever, did I stray from them.  Because I liked and was familiar with the colors and knew how well they worked and interacted with one another, no matter what the subject matter, everything was always in harmony.


The same principle applies when building your stash.  If you stay with the colors that you like and are comfortable with, everything should coordinate, no matter who the designer or manufacturer might be.  Problems occur when one tries to stray from that comfort zone.  Just ask me!!!

Kim Diehl's color family is very similar to the one I used when painting and that is why my choice of thread colors...even though I purchased and started stitching the blocks long before I stumbled across her fabrics...go so well together.

I still have lots of hand work to do before I can start to assemble the quilt top. Thankfully, I'm in no rush and have no deadlines to meet.  

And I thought that I would be finished by today.

Wishful thinking!

Happy stitching!

 

22 comments:

Sara said...

That is wonderful advice to follow. The project looks great so far with that mix of embroidery and piecing and applique.

Krisell said...

Dear Kareen,

I love your colours. I can't wait to see the quilt finished. :)

Phyllis said...

You are so right. Love the way your quilt is coming along. It is 70 here today so I have been playing in the yard, raking and trimming. Almost as much fun as quilting!!

Marta said...

Precioso!!

Jacqueline Morris said...

Wonderful progress, love how your quilt is coming along....cannot wait to see your finished look :)
Smiles :)

Monica said...

It's looking really great, and I love that running stitch frame you have put around all the stitcheries. Can't wait to see the finish!

gracie said...

Love how the quilt is looking...you are so talented... there is nothing that you can not make look marvelous

Jeanna said...

Very good advice!

Your blocks are perfect, they are going to make a lovely quilt.

Sandi said...

I like how you've adapted the design. Hope you get some sunny warm weather soon and some flowers blooming in your own garden.

susiefloozie said...

Well said. The color palette you love will usually apply to all you touch!

Alba-mà said...

Gràcies pels bons concells, sempre va be aprendre de persones que en saben.
Bon cap de setmana !!!

Unknown said...

Love your color choices. It's going to be beautiful - not that it isn't already :)

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like what you're doing there! Really pretty, and thank you for the advice.

Verna G said...

Glad you are doing so well Karren!

Anonymous said...

Love it!! I love the churn dashes standing out instead of blending in. Really pretty stitching :o)

Janet O. said...

Wonderful to read your "color" advice. I know I gravitate to the same colors all the time. Sometimes I chide myself for not being more adventurous, but those colors are in my happy place. : )
Looking forward to seeing this quilt come together in your color palette.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is good advice. I can see that your quilt is going to be wonderful with those fabrics.

annie said...

It's going to be beautiful!
That is wonderful advice.

Nancy Page said...

It is going to be gorgeous and wonderful. Love your selections of fabric and floss. Thank you for the great advice about color.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day!

susan said...

I love your blocks and look forward to the finished quilt. I think I like your version better than the original - the contrast is what makes it sing.

Your advice about colors and comfort zone is on the mark. But ..... when I have stepped out of my comfort zone and tried new colors, it was really hard for me. Now those projects are my favorites! I tried something new, and learned along the way. I guess we need a balance between what we are comfortable with and trying something new. Always love your work!

Suegodfrey said...

I started this quilt, quite a few years ago. You have inspired me to pick it up again. Love the stitching around the embroidered squares, lovely touch . please keep posting as you go . sue

Anonymous said...

It's going to be more than interesting to see where you take Leanne's design. I made her Butterfly Garden, but didn't change much.
At first when you wrote about sticking to colors you love, my first reaction was "but you have to go outside the box and stretch from time to time". But when I thought about what colors I choose and fabrics (mostly) I buy...you are right, I do tend to stick to my fav ones even though the intention was to step outside LOL.