Tuesday, October 21, 2014

There's something about a wood fire

We've had unseasonably warm weather for almost a week and a half which has been really nice.  The gardens have been prepped for winter and hopefully the grass will need cutting just one more time.

When we purchased our almost 200 year old Nova Scotian home four years ago, it came with a gravity fed oil burning stove in the kitchen...you know the one...Frankie and Ollie's favorite cuddling place.



Although it served us well, we wanted to replace it with a more efficient wood burning stove.  So we shopped around and decided to go with a Pacific Energy unit that was installed last week in anticipation of the cooler weather which we know lies waiting just around the corner.

We used it for the first time two nights ago when the temperature took a drop. It performed exactly as promised and we haven't had to turn our furnace on once since it's been installed...and it most definitely has the F & O (Frankie and Ollie) seal of approval!  We stoked it well before we went to bed last night and Frankie must have slept in front of it all night because we never heard a peep meow out of him till 4 a.m. when he came to wake us up.  He was hungry and the fire had burned down to a gorgeous bed of coals.



I've been doing a bit of stitching and managed to complete another block in Leanne Beasley's Down in the Garden quilt while struggling with a head and chest cold.

Leanne's version...



And my version.



So now that the new wood stove is in and my cold is just about gone, I'm hoping to get a lot more accomplished over the next little while.


Happy stitching!

21 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love a wood fire - what a cute bundle of love.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I am glad you are feeling better.
Your pets in front of the stove is so adorable! I think they are quilt worthy for a design of their own. :)

gracie said...

What a nice way for the kids to sleep, in front of a warm fire. Hope you feel better real soon....

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Ahh warm home, warm fur babies warm heart, happy heart

http://thankfullga447 said...

I miss or wooden stove, enjoy yours it sounds like a keeper. Love your stitching.

Natasha said...

I love pictures of those two cuddling so adorable. I think wood stoves are just the best.

paulette said...

I agree adorable picture of the two fur buddies!! Love the new red stove! I think you need new red slippers to go with it!! Enjoy!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Great red wood stove, love the way it looks.
Hope you are feeling better already.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Janet O. said...

Love a wood fire! But they do make me sleepy--I'd be right there with Frankie and Ollie!
You are so spot on with the remake of this block. It is adorable!

andsewon said...

I miss a wood fire but not all the work. Love to smell wood smoke in the Fall when others are burning one. We have a gas unit in our fireplace. Love those two cute fur balls all cozy by the stove! hope you are 'coldless' soon. Pretty stitching.
Lola

Heartsdesire said...

Your stitching looks lovely, and Ollie and Frankie look perfect in front of your new stove. Love the colour and I'm sure you will save a lot not having to turn your furnace on so often. Wish I had a spot for one in my house. Hope your cold is gone soon, perhaps you should also be sitting in front of the fire with the boys.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm about as far south of you that I can be and still be in North America. The thought of being cool enough for a fire sounds divine! Love the red too!

Lesley said...

Love that red stove...so pretty and I bet it will be well used this winter! Nice stitching too. Glad to hear you are on the mend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kaaren Love the colour of your stove. We have one almost exactly like yours, but in black. We love our wood heat.
The stitching is coming along wonderfully.Glad your cold is better too.

Dianne

margaret said...

your fire certainly looks welcoming, that is if you can ever get near it with those two hogging the best spot. Your project is coming along a lovely quilt you are making and will keep you busy through the winter and maybe into the spring too

Monica said...

I love your little birdhouse, with the round shingled roof. It looks like a little fairy cottage!

I think you'll be finished in no time!

Susannah said...

Going to be gorgeous, Kaaren.....just Gorgeous!!!!!

Jeanne said...

Frankie and Ollie know just where to go for a warm and snuggly nap!

Anonymous said...

We just bought the exact same stove and even the same color. We choose the solid glass door. I really wanted nickel but the price was just to high. Such a pretty little stove!

Unknown said...

You can't beat a wood fire. Happy Halloween.

Pam in IL said...

Yep, a wood fire is the best. My Dottie Dog loves to lay on the warm brick flooring under our woodstove. We haven't had a fire yet, but I think Hubby will be spending time this weekend getting the stove ready. Glad to hear you're feeling better.