Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sewing Machine Mat/Caddy Tutorial

I'm sure that there are a gazillion tutorials on how to make a sewing machine mat/caddy out there and perhaps you've already made one.  Maybe I was just waiting for the PERFECT fabric to make mine so when my friend Lucie came to visit a couple of weeks ago, she gifted me with just that...the PERFECT fabric!



Remember these gorgeous sewing-themed fabrics?



I used some of them to make one for Lucie and one for me.

Here's what I did.

I cut a 20 1/2" x 20 1/2" square out of two different fabrics, one for the front and one for the back.  I also cut a 20 1/2" x 20 1/2" piece of low loft batting to sandwich between the two layers and used 505 quilt basting spray to hold the three layers together.

Using my long 1 1/2" ruler as a guide to establish a cross-hatch pattern, I marked the sewing lines on the lighter of the two fabrics with my Frixion pen and then sewed along the lines in both directions.



To make the sleeve for the pockets, I cut two pieces of a different fabric and another piece of batting at 5 1/2" by 20 1/2" and sandwiched them together in the same manner as above.

I prepped enough binding not only to attach to the upper edge of the pocket sleeve but also to go around the entire mat which I sewed on in the same way we would to bind a quilt.

I trimmed the pocket sleeve along the bottom edge, making sure that it was square. 


I then marked the lines with my Frixion pen for where I wanted the pockets to be.


I aligned the pocket sleeve with the bottom edge of the mat and pinned it in place... 


then sewed along the lines making sure to secure my stitches at both ends so that they wouldn't come undone.


I trimmed around the mat to make sure that it was square and then sewed on the binding in the same way as I would to bind a quilt.  


Here it is, all finished and ready to put to use!


And voila!  BIG Bernie and I are very happy campers...oops, I mean sewers!  

All of my "go to" tools in one place and easy to find.


Now how easy was that!!!

Happy stitching!

33 comments:

Needled Mom said...

That is a great idea and looks so nice too, Kaaren. Thanks for the tutorial.

Jeanna said...

Those fabrics are perfect for this. A very handy caddy and I love how perfectly "finished" it is with the binding.

Dr. Mom said...

How is it attached?

Unknown said...

I love your tutorial. It has so many additional elegant finishes I want to incorporate into my caddy. Yes I have seen other tutorials but none as "nice" or clear as yours! Thank you for sharing!

pinsandneedles said...

Perfect! Thanks for the tutorial, Kaaren! I think I may have to make one of these!

ela said...

great tutorial!...thanks so much for sharing...it's lovely and you've made it seem so 'do-able'...i'm going to give this a try!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Wonderful idea! I need to make one myself. Hope you and Big Bernie are bonding!

Donna said...

Thanks, I love the caddy and the tutorial!
@ Dr. Mom - I believe that it sits under your machine like a place mat, with the pocket part hanging over your sewing table.

Angie said...

What a fabulous tutorial! You are so sweet to always share these wonderful patterns with us. :) BTW, I LOVE the fabrics you made yours in too.

Jacqueline said...

Oh sew lovely.

thanks

Mans Amigues said...

Precioso!!!

Besos.

Marit Johanne said...

It is very nice, just the right fabrics for this project! Thanks for the tutorial! Maybe I have to sew me one of those. I am always looking for the seam ripper and scissors when I sew. They always disappear.

barbara woods said...

love those fabric's for that

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I love it! Thank you for the instructions. One for the side of a comfy chair will be nice as well.

Janet O. said...

Very slick! I need to see if one would fit where I sew. I'm afraid my table is lower and the pocket would be laying in my lap! : )

sandi s said...

You are so clever. I love yours so thank you for the pics and instructions. Hugs,

KMSC said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I love this idea.

M. Hair said...

Thank you for the great tutorial. I have been quilting for a long time but have never been able to go to a quilt retreat until this Sept. so I spent the day making myself the sewing machine caddy to take with me. The directions and pictures were spot on. I love it. Thanks for all you share with us.

margaret said...

good tutorial, thanks need to make one of these and maybe then I would not spend so much time searching for scissors, unpickers etc

Robin Waggoner, Quilter and Designer said...

Kaaren, thanks for this tutorial. What a great idea. You are right I have seen many but this hit me at the right time I guess. Off I go to make one for myself. I truly enjoy your blog.

antique quilter said...

this is just so cute and your fabrics made it even better! I need to make one too, great tutorial
thanks for sharing.
Kathie

CatNCart Craft said...

Thank you for a great tutorial. I love your choice of fabrics
I really need to make one for myself, it would be so useful
Judy

Lesley said...

Beautiful! Great use of those fabrics!

barcord said...

Thanks for sharing your tutorial. That is a great mat. I love the fabrics.

Catarina C said...

Thank you for the great idea and tutorial, this mat I will save and sew! Hugs

Barb said...

so clever! thanks for the tutorial

Candace said...

Great tutorial, Kaaren! I NEED one of these!
Cheers!

Judymc said...

A friend taught me how to make one with a zipper and clear vinyl to corral quilting supplies. It's really good for classes. I like yours, though, for a sewing station at home. Thanks for the instructions.

A Joyful Cottage said...

This is great, and I love the fabrics you used. I'm pinning. Thanks!

karrarist said...

Slightly off topic, I love your sewing table and the black distressed shelf and drawers that sit behind your machine. The caddy looks lovely also.

Marta said...

Bravo!!! Magnifico tutorial. Gracias

Sandra said...

Going to make one of these for my
cutting table. Pockets for rotary cutters/scissors and marking pens. Great tutorial; thanks so much!

Debbie -- Sheltered Stitches said...

A friend made me a mat for my big Viking and I will NEVER sew without one again! I always know where my stuff is! I make big use of my tweezers to pull the bobbin thread up and they are always where I put them now! and my little scissors too!