Monday, August 10, 2009

Sampler Progress

On Friday night I bit the bullet and decided to start the BBD  Petites Lettres Rouges sampler.  I was a little apprehensive at the outset as this was only my second x-stitch project.  Thank goodness for the internet as that’s where I basically picked up what little knowledge I have about x-stitching.

berrydividerxI read a few conflicting ideas as to where to begin the stitching.  Some said to find the center and start there while others said to complete the outer border first and work from the perimeter in as it’s easier to count this way.

Well, that made more sense to me so that’s where I started.  By Saturday evening, this is what I had done…

DSCN0855and by Sunday evening, I’d gotten this far…

DSCN0857I’m having so much fun because never in a million years did I think that I could ever stitch a sampler.  I find it very relaxing although I do have to concentrate on making sure that my stitches all go in one direction and at times, the counting can be a little tricky.

Isn’t the floss so cool?  It’s a red variegated floss from DMC, #115.  I love the gradation of color from a deep crimson to almost a cherry red.  I think I’m past the half way point and I hope to have this little guy wrapped up by mid week.

berrydividerxX-stitch is not as difficult as I thought it would be but completing the Prairie Schooler Santa first definitely gave me the confidence to give the sampler a try…not to mention all your words of encouragement as well.

You should see the next one I’ve got picked out!

Happy stitching!

Kaaren ♥

26 comments:

edie said...

BRAVO!!!!! Good for you, Kaaren. I know your sampler, like all your work, will be exquisite. Hugs, Edie

Abby and Stephanie said...

The vareigated thread is going to make it that much more beautiful. Is cross stitch like eating potato chips? :o) My mother is a cross stitcher and I have a couple of things she's done for me.

Dorothy said...

Kaaren, you amaze me! It's wonderful.

Nima said...

that is coming along beautiful.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I knew you could easily tackle a sampler! You have the eye, skill and patience for any art or craft -I am sure of that! It looks wonderful. I like that variegated thread too. It gives it the right look. I bet you will be moving on to bigger and more complicated projects before I even start just one!! That's Ok - I am having fun with Liliana and friends and there will always be time for more stitching!!

Have a great day - it's going to 90+ and HUMID here... UGH!!

hugs, Linda

Unknown said...

Looks great Kaaren! Keep it up. I love stitching too. It is very relaxing and a great project to keep with you for spare moments at Dr's office or while traveling.

Julie said...

hi kaaren,
you're doing such a lovely job, but that's not surprising at all really.
this would look just awesome if you gave it a good old tea bath when done.
have fun,
hugs, julie :) xox

Darlene said...

Applause, applause, woohoo, yeehaw, wowzer - I'm sooooo excited that you jumped in and started your sampler! I'm going to do a little happy dance across the hot desert for you!

Pat said...

I knew you could do it!!! Great job. Yea!

Annette said...

I love your sampler!! My you are quick too. I bought a cross stitch project last summer on vacation. I was so looking forward to stitching it but then it got tucked into a drawer and almost forgotten. You make me want to go dig it out and get to work on it.

dotti white said...

Kaaren...I love the sampler! You are doing a beautiful job and congratulations for getting started. I always loved crossstitching when I was doing it--it's so fun to sit back and loo at your progress! Yeah for you! Have an awesome week!

The Rabbit Factory said...

Kaaren...you do everything well! Hard to tell you are only on your 2nd cross stitch project....amazing!

Sherri said...

Your sampler is looking lovely...I love that DMC floss as well...I used it in several Christmas stitcheries last year!

Cathi said...

Kaaren, it looks fantastic!! Love that thread! Is Mary next? :-)

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo your on a roll now! We won't be able to stop you and boy are you making progress fast! Good Job Karen!!

Kimberly said...

Um... and why did you not start this sooner?? It's beautiful and you're doing it so fast! I'd still be somewhere around the bend, or rather, left corner at this point!
Keep the pictures coming...
Have a great Monday! We're having our first rain in at least a month... feels fallish, but so good!

zigzago said...

Hi Kaaren, This sampler looks just beautifull!
Did send you a mail, I hope your Hubby apreciate???
Hugs, Renata.

Anne said...

I love it and you're doing a great job. See? I told you it was easy! That variegated thread is the perfect choice.

Micki said...

Your sampler is looking lovely! Your stitching is beautiful!
Micki

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh you silly goose, I told you that you would have no problem. Love it so much, beautiful work!

Rumi said...

Looking great so far! It will be lovely when complete!

Jocelyn said...

Great job Kaaren! I knew you could do it :-)

Cathy B said...

Hi Kaaren - I have started both ways, in the center and on the border if the piece has one -- do whatever works best for you!

I stitched this sampler with DMC 115 too; it turned out great!

Candace said...

Well when you put your mind (and hands)to something you go full speed ahead, Kaaren! Pretty soon you'll barely have to count!
Cheers!

Susan said...

Looks just great Kaaren!! I started one last night also. Have a look at my blog!!!

Brenda said...

That's stunning! I am so lovin it!
I saw that you already finished your signature blocks...you're such a busy Bee. I am finishing up a little quilt and only have a gazillion other projects going but I will get mine done soon too. I hope hat the piecing doesn't drive me to drink...what was I thinking? LOL!!!