Monday, April 20, 2009

Remembering the 3 R’s

I loved school.  School always brings back fond memories for me.  I can remember all my teacher’s names from kindergarten through to the ninth grade.  After that, the names aren’t as easy to recall, probably because we had a different teacher for almost every subject and it wasn’t as personal.

My first grade teacher was Mrs. Wilkinson.  I remember her to be a very tall lady with brown hair streaked with grey. 

I also recall sitting in the second to last seat in the first row.  There were five rows of desks with six desks in each row.  Those of us in the first two rows were the ones who could be assigned work and proceed with minimal teacher supervision.  Those students in the third to fifth rows worked with the teacher. 

My favorite subjects were reading, spelling and writing.  I used to love getting a new reader and to look at the pictures and to see if I could read what was inside.

DSCN0371

I remember taking my reader home and my Dad and I would sit on the sofa after dinner so I could read to him and then we’d practice the words for that week’s spelling lesson in preparation for Friday’s test.  Gosh that was a long time ago.

About a year and a half ago, I was in a little quilt shop in upstate NY.  You can just imagine how excited I was when I came across the Look & Learn fabric by American Jane for Moda.  I was in nostalgic seventh heaven!  I purchased a jelly roll and some additional yardage and didn’t have a clue as to what I was going to make…but I knew I had to have it.

DSCN0372

Back then, I hadn’t been quilting that long.  After much consternation, I decided to cut the strips into 4 1/2” pieces and proceed from there.  This is the end result.

DSCN0367

Primary colors are such happy colors.  The pattern is not a difficult one as you can see.

DSCN0369

I added sashing, three borders and decided to bite the bullet and attempt a scalloped edge.

DSCN0368

I have a hard time now not to scallop the edges on all my quilts.  They’re not as difficult to make as I had initially thought and they certainly add interest and dimension to a quilt.

I also picked a fun coordinating fabric for the backing.

DSCN0370

Whenever I put this quilt on our bed, a little bit of nostalgia sets in…fond memories of my childhood, school, friends…and of course my Mom and Dad.  I’ll probably pass this quilt on to my grand niece when she’s around 3 or 4.

Do you remember the 3 R’s?

Happy stitching!

Kaaren 

  

20 comments:

Dorothy said...

Kaaren, the quilt is wonderful!
Your grand niece will be one lucky little girl.

Janet said...

Our books in NZ were Janet and John but i still ahve some of this fabric. Your quilt is just lovely with the scalloped edges and I love the backing fabric.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Dick and Jane, phonics, readers by color. Quite different in schools today. Your quilt is darling and I especially love the scallops. I have a quilt waiting for me to "bite the bullet" but I want to practice on something smaller first.

Kate/Massachusetts said...

Your quilt is lovely! I really like the colors! Any tricks or suggestions on doing a scalloped edge?

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

OH I loved school too and my teachers. I was and am the same way about reading. I just love to read!!

That quilt is just darling. What a wonderful gift that will be for your grand neice!! Lucky little girl!

Thanks so much for this fun trip down memory lane!!

Darlene said...

Wow, Kaaren, thanks so much for bringing those memories back to me. My first grade teacher was Sister Mary Francis and I too can remember my teacher's names through 9th grade. Very foggy after that. LOL!

Oh, those readers were such favorites of mine!

Your quilt is delightful - love the edge!

Sherri said...

I was one of those kids who loved school too! And I love your quilt! Even the colors are happy...and cheerful!

Annette said...

Dick and Jane memories are the best! Those were good days weren't they. Your quilt is beautiful and I love the scalloped border. I haven't tried that yet. But I think I will.

Country Whispers said...

This is lovely and the colors are so vibrant and happy.

Pat said...

Your quilt is lovely. Your grand niece is a lucky little girl.

Dolores said...

Ah yes, I too loved school and all my teachers - except the grade four teacher. Spelling was my favourite subject. You have done a wonderful job on the quilt. Thanks for the memories...

Carrie P. said...

I remember the 3 R's but my favorite R was recess! LOL
I did love to read as a child and I would go to our public library and spend hours there.
I love your quilt and the scalloped border. I am going to have to do that on a quilt.

Candace said...

Kaaren - such a wonderful quilt, and lovely memories! I'm surprised art and drawing weren't up there with your favorite subjects...maybe you hadn't yet discovered your talent! I wish my memory was as good!
Cheers!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh Kaaren, I love that quilt!! All I remember about school is that I was miss goodie two shoes and always the teachers pet, I think I was a nerd, no I was!!!

Polly said...

I also love the Dick and Jane readers...and am lucky enough to have an original one. I made a Dick and Jane quilt, too. I used the book panel and charm squares! The fabrics are so cute! your quilt is lovely! Polly :-)

Karen said...

Wonderful quilt. I love the scalloped edge.

Karen said...

I learned to read with Dick & Jane books. The quilt you made will certainly bring back memories for those of us who grew up learning to read from those books.

Loris said...

Lovely quilt! I'm tempted to do the scalloped edge now. Thanks for the inspiration. :-)

Cindy's Stitching said...

All the quilts are beautiful

Nanette Merrill said...

I'm telling you we got a better education as kids than they do now. I have some of this stuff too. I love Dick and Jane. ALways will.