Saturday, February 6, 2016

Back in the Saddle

We had some rain, freezing rain and some snow overnight so it looks like I'll be stuck inside until I'm absolutely certain that there's no ice lurking underfoot. The sun is shining and there's not a cloud in the sky so it looks like it just might be a perfect day to stay indoors to stitch and sew.
Yesterday, I started putting together the center medallion to my Brinton Hall quilt. I did manage to get the hexie rings sewn together before we sold our house and I quickly put it away when I realized that we had so much to do with respect to the move and sewing just wasn't on the short list.  
I've decided to make my version using all Civil War and reproduction fabrics and I'm loving the look. My goal for today is to get all seven large hexie blocks appliqued and then it'll be on to the next step of connecting them all. Lots of work but I love handwork!
The instructions and photos for the Brinton Hall quilt are spread between two issues of Quiltmania magazine, #'s 107 and 108. It's quite an ambitious project but I'm anxious to get back to it.

Some glue basting is involved which brings me to my next point.
Have you ever used the "Sewline Fabric Glue Pen"? If you haven't then I would suggest that you get one to add to your bag of sewing stuff. I've tried every brand of fabric glue and this, IMHO, is by F-A-R the best one yet! The glue is soft and pliable, spreads like butter and STAYS soft.

Oh, and Frankie is never too far away, always willing to add his two cents.

Note to Wilma : Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment on my last blog post. I'm sorry but I was unable to answer your question because you came up as a "no-reply" blogger. This means that when you set up your profile, you didn't include your email address.
I purchased the cherry fabrics that I used for my ditty bags at JoAnn's about seven or eight years ago. It is 100% cotton and not vinyl. I doubt if they have the exact fabric now but you never know. Good luck in your search.

Happy stitching!

15 comments:

Syd said...

I love your color choices. I look forward to seeing this project evolve!

Lori said...

Great time of the year to start this amazing quilt!!

Marsha B said...

I'll be watching your progress on this quilt, it looks amazing. Your choice of fabrics is wonderful!

Sandra said...

Muy bonito, me encantan todos sus trabajos, especialmente los que usa las telas de reproducción, un gran abrazo desde Tenerife.

Jacqueline said...

What an ambitious quilt. I hope you share your work as you go. And thanks for the glue stick testimony.

Ann said...

After seeing your post on Brinton Hall I had to go onto Amazon and order the 2 magazines. I am using mostly 1800 repro also, what I have in my stash. I am still waiting on #107.
Looking forward to following your progress.
Ann

colleen said...

Frankie is so lovely looks so perfect could be a statue in the photo.
How are your 4 footed little ones getting on in their new house? Do they miss the wood stove?
I've never lived in an area where it snows but it sounds like you are well educated in the dangers of walking around in your weather conditions . After dealing with healing bones I am sure your darling husband is happy to have you reduce all risks of falling.
Colleen
In California where we still need more wet stuff

margaret said...

this is going to be a pretty fantastic quilt and certainly a labour of love

Little Penpen said...

What a beautiful cat! Your quilt is going to be wonderful; looking forward to watching you make it.

Deborah Smith said...

Hi Kaaren,

I just just read your most recent blog about the Sewline Fabric Glue Pen. I use the other Sewline products but not the glue pen. My question is if it stays soft and pliable does it also adhere permanently.
I have enjoyed wool applique yet find even Warm and Lite Steam a Seam 2 is too dense/hard for me to needle through. I thought the Sewline might work, especially if I put glue on the inner part of the shape and left it off the edges.
I would like to know your experience with this and what you think.
I have been following your blog now for several years. I read it faithfully as you have a wonderful balance of telling us about your life, quilting and your professional pursuits.

Thanks,

Debbie Smith

annie said...

Loved your hexie block, wow that print in the middle sure is pretty!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Oh, I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying sewing again after all the stressful work of moving. I think this will be such a beautiful quilt. I love your fabric choices thus far. Enjoy!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Thank you for talking about the Brinton Hall quilt...it is quite a beauty and new to me. I'm sure yours will be just as lovely, Kaaren. I look forward to following its progress. Meanwhile Continued Happy Sewing!

Wilma said...

Sorry about the snafu. I thought you would just reply here. I just thought it was such a coincidence that it was the same pattern.I love reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

You've been on my mind and today as the snow is falling and I look out to see WHITE everywhere it reminds me of all the times you posted gorgeous SNOW photos around your old home. I hope your new home is all your dreamed it would be and you look settled in...Frankie does! LOL The project you are starting looks PERFECT for this chilly days of staying cozy inside. Miss you girlfriend....take care! M