Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Whetting your appetite!

In my last post, I mentioned that I had joined an online sew-along group and promised to tell you more about it.

It's called the Farmer's Wife 1930's Sampler Quilt Sew-Along, hosted by the Gnome Angel from down under.



I believe there are now over 3000 'sewers along' from all over the world and in order to participate, the only item you must have is a copy of the 1930's Farmer's Wife book pictured below.



I've had the 'other' Farmer's Wife book for several years but it won't do for this sew-along because all 99 blocks included in the 1930's book are new and different ones!

I'm not going to go into all that's involved but if you're interested in finding out more or joining in on the fun, just click HERE and it'll take you to the Gnome Angel's blog where she explains everything in detail.  And it's not too late to join either!

This week we started with two of the easier blocks, just to get our feet wet and to tempt our palettes...or whet our appetites.

To whet your appetite is almost the opposite of wetting your appetite. Whereas wetting your whistle quenches your thirst, whetting your appetite arouses, heightens, or sharpens it. Whet means to sharpen or make more acute and comes from the Old English adjective hwæt "brave, bold" (from the Old Saxon hwat "sharp").

I've decided to use some fabrics in my stash that I've had for a couple of months from Kim Diehl's latest line called Gathering Baskets.



No surprise there, huh?  *wink*   L-O-V-E Kim's fabrics and color palette!

Here's my first block called, "Becky"...



and the second block called, "Bonnie".



I like to be organized so after printing the layout for each block from the CD that comes with the book, I placed them individually in a plastic sleeve in a binder set aside just for this project.

Once I finished piecing the block, I slid it into the corresponding plastic sleeve. 

Each block measures 6 1/2" unfinished so they fit in quite nicely.  In this way not only will they lay flat but there's also less chance of one or more going astray.



All the fabrics that I'll be using are kept in a plastic tote for easy access.



After cutting out the strips for the pieces that I've chosen for a particular block, I fold and store the 'leftovers' in a little plastic tray.  In that way, if I need another small piece of fabric that I've already used, they too will be easily accessible.


By being organized in this way, all the supplies needed to work on this project take up hardly any room at all...


at the end of my cutting table as you can see.


Two blocks down and only 97 more to go...if I decide to make all 97, i.e.

So did I whet your appetite?



Happy stitching!

16 comments:

Judy said...

Love your Kim fabrics, I have hundred's of them too :) blocks are very pretty...
I do like your organizing plan ... pretty much following that one too ...thank-you

Julierose said...

Oh this is sooo tempting--in the midst of making my grandson's quilt--and doing RSC 2015--so I may get that book and just go it alone later....I don't usually do too well with these deadline projects....BUT you did tempt me ;--))
love Kim Diehl fabrics and your first two blocks are just beautiful....AND
I love your organization...neat!! hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

Yep, I got hooked too. The CD is a great addition to this 1930's book.

Bev said...

You are so organized! For some reason, I thought these blocks were 8.5". I don't even have the book though so guess I'm wrong! I love your blocks! That's a great line of fabric! Can't wait to see your progress!

Lesley said...

Oh my, you are going to be a busy gal! Have fun with the blocks. I still look through my Farmer's Wife Sampler book...maybe some rainy day!

Sara said...

I'm one of the 3000 or more sewing along. Love your fabric choices. I am using my stash of 1930s reproduction fabrics. And I only have the first block done so far, with the second one happening this evening after work. The book is just as much fun reading as the other one was because the stories are wonderful.

Susie H said...

I am also one of the 3000+ QALers! I "pledged" to not start my blocks until October 1st so I'll be sewing along shortly. I plan on using Jo Morton, Kathy Schmitz, & Barbara Brackman fabrics. I'm so looking forward to this project and am patiently waiting for my back-ordered book to arrive!

gracie said...

Lovely blocks and good organization

Kate/Massachusetts said...

I like seeing how you "organized" your project! I have such a small sewing area that I just get overwhelmed and don't do projects that I would otherwise love to do! Soon I will be off to the craft store to find plastic containers and a notebook like your's!

I keep knitting patterns and swatches in plastic sleeves in a notebook as well as any pertinent info for the particular project but I never thought of organizing my sewing projects like that! Thanks for the ideas...

Janet O. said...

I love seeing how organized you are.
My resistance is strong on this one. I did 60-some odd blocks from the previous book and I don't think I am ready to jump into another big 6" sampler now.
Your fabrics will make this wonderful! I will enjoy seeing the blocks take shape.

Unknown said...

Love these blocks Kaaren! Can't wait to see more as you bring them all to life. So happy to have you along for the journey! <3

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I've enjoyed following along with the bloggers who are participating in this SAL ... but I must say that I am really swooning at your blocks. Love the fabrics you've chosen (Kim's are always a favorite of mine) ... I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your FW blocks.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

oh what fun!

moosecraft said...

The Kim Diehl fabrics are going to be awesome with these blocks! Thanks for taking a different colorway than the book (though I adore 30s prints too)... looking forward to seeing your progress.... and absolutely love the technique you are using to keep everything organized! :-)

Pam in IL said...

Oh my, I love the fabrics you chose! I'll be looking forward to watching your progress as well as the others participating in the SAL. Thanks for sharing how you organize your fabrics and blocks for this SAL.

Robin said...

Love the fabrics and love your common sense ways to organize.