Monday, November 17, 2014

More on Punch Needle

I finished my first punch needle design a couple of days ago but got somewhat distracted doing/making other things. My next step is to use my finished project to embellish a functional piece. 

Punch needle is very easy to do and once you pick up the rhythm, it works up quite quickly. I used my Valdani 12 wt threads and am thrilled with the results.




The beauty about using the Valdani threads for punch needle is that you can use them directly from the pre-wound ball without having to continually stop to cut lengths of thread or floss and rethread the needle which for me is a pain in the you-know-what.  In addition, the variegated threads provide a natural shading and highlighting which adds natural depth and dimension.

I still have a few of my signature sets of Valdani threads avail for purchase on my Etsy site HERE at a great price.  They are the same threads that I use for all my wool applique as well!

EDIT:  I have sold out of my signature sets of Valdani threads...AGAIN! 

If you would like to reserve one, please email me by clicking on the "postcard" button on the right sidebar of my blog.  I will contact you as soon as they are back in stock.    

As soon as I get my project finished, I'll be posting a tutorial here which will include my sheep design for those who would like to give it a try.


In the meantime...


Happy stitching!

18 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Your design is beautiful!
Thank you for the inspiration.

FLR said...

Beautiful! Never dit needle punch but would love to learn!
groetjes
Francisca

Janet O. said...

I tried needle punch a hundred years ago (maybe) and didn't do well. I'm guessing the tools have improved since then--not sure I have. This is so cute! I love the effect the variegated threads create!

Lesley said...

Your little guy is adorable! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your a natural--for a first piece this is a great finish.

Maxine said...

Looking forward to the tutorial post, it looks like fun and just love the pattern. Thanks Kaaren .

Bev said...

Your design is beyond cute. You are sooooo inspirational.
Thanks

Janet said...

Love it. Can't wait to see the finished project and the tutorial.

Dianne Cook said...

Hi Kaaren,

Love your sheep. Can't wait for your tutorial

Dianne

Joan said...

Your design is lovely. Looking forward to your tutorial. Thank you!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

That is really pretty! My grandmother used to make beautiful wool latch hook rugs. I've never attempted anything of that sort, but you never know. ;)

Teatime Creations said...

Lovely design. Looking forward to the tutorial.

margaret said...

a lovely sheep, how I love perle thread

Flickenstichlerin said...

This is so cute, love the little sheep. Great idea to use it for another project.
Greegings,
Sylvia

Alba-mà said...

Un treball molt bonic. La ovella es molt graciosa.
petons des de Catalunya

Quiltgal said...

I also tried this a whole lot of years ago but I recall having problems with it unravelling. How do you finish the back and the loose threads.

Pilar Garcia de la Cueva said...

¡¡Precioso!!.
un saludo.

Janet said...

Another lovely piece from you Kaaren!