Monday, September 22, 2014

New Project

I recently started a new project called "Down in the Garden", a quilt by Leanne Beasley, an Australian designer. She initially introduced it in 2010 as a ten month BOM but it is now available to purchase as a set.


Leanne's original finished quilt.
I love to combine stitching, patchwork and applique in my own designs and I fell in love with this one the moment I laid eyes on it.

My friend Julie from Australia and I are making this quilt together.  We started with different blocks and are working at our own pace.  We message back and forth, chat, share photos of our progress and offer advice and encouragement as we proceed.




I started with Block 5, the one that has the most stitching. I intentionally chose this block because it's been a while since I had a really good, long stitch-in. I'm happy I did because I'm savouring each and every stitch.




My goal is to finish this block sometime this week. Stay tuned!



Happy stitching!

22 comments:

Jacqueline Morris said...

Oh my!! This is beautiful :)
I love everything about it, its so pretty.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Smiles :)

susiefloozie said...

Simply beautiful!

Susannah said...

Going to be GORGEOUS!

Janet O. said...

So beautiful, Kaaren! I can see why you were drawn to it. When I saw the thumbnail of the quilt on my dashboard, I thought it was something you had designed.
Your stitching is impeccable!

Alba-mà said...

Un treball precios. Ja tinc ganes de veure'l acabat.
Petons !!!

Grandma M said...

Great to see you working on this quilt. I too love the use of embroidery on quilts. I completed this same quilt a few years ago and love it. Enjoy the journey.

Marie said...

That is a lovely block, Your work is so nice. Hope all is going well with you and hubby. Hugs, Marie

antique quilter said...

this is very beautiful.
Kathie

marina said...

this is a wonderful project, I did this quilt a year ago and enjoyed every minute! It was definitely a labour of love. Enjoy!

Needled Mom said...

What a wonderful long term project you have chosen.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

This is gorgeous! I am working on Leanne's Journey of a Quilter BOM right now. Her designs are fabulous. Enjoy!

Jana said...

It is soooo beautifull! I'm looking forward to see your progress. I totally fall in love with this design too.

Robin Waggoner, Quilter and Designer said...

Actually a question rather than a comment. What thread are you using for this? and how did you transfer the pattern onto your background? Your stitching is really nice.

margaret said...

this is a beautiful design and can see you are getting lots of pleasure stitching it as we will get pleasure following your progress

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Que preciosidad!!!!!

Mónica said...

Beautiful, great work!

Natasha said...

beautiful start to this. Can't wait to see more :)

Pam in IL said...

Beautiful!

Elzaan said...

That is a gorgeous quilt!
I am sure you will enjoy making this one, and it will be just as beautiful!

Monica said...

I've been messing around with this quilt for 6 months now, but I can't seem to get any traction on it. Maybe you will get me going again!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Karen,
your stitching looks wonderful.
I made Lea's Garden a few years ago, also by Lynette Anderson. Loved the design, colors and stitching and had lots of fun with it. Wish you as much fun as I had.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Hardin County Keepsakes said...

I love hand work.I am interested in the quilt frame on your work.Can you tell me where to purchase one like it? Maybe I live under a rock and they have been around forever but I have not seen one like it. judy j in rainy Iowa USA.