My interest was peaked immediately because I've been doing a lot of sewing at my friend Debra's house (no blog) while she minds her home-based quilt shop over the summer months during our prime tourist season. I lug my machine and all my supplies with me...including my iron...so my new caddy will come in handy on our sewing days.
After a quick trip to my LQS yesterday morning to pick up the two different types of heat resistant fabric that the pattern calls for, I was able to get down to business. Three hours later, it was all done!
Funky fabric, huh? Sooooo out of my comfort zone and I even found it in my stash!
A perfect fit with lots of room to spare.
One of the added bonuses is that it doubles as a pressing cloth when open.
How cool is that!
Now I won't have to hang around waiting for my iron to cool off before packing it up and taking it home. With the double layer of heat resistant lining, it'll be pack-up-and-go!
Here's the link if you'd like to make one yourself.
I did make the following changes which you might want to consider when making yours...
1. I cut the binding on the bias making it so much easier to apply.
2. I eliminated one of the layers of batting because one of the heat resistant fabrics had a batting kind of fabric already attached to it.
3. I spray basted between the layers to prevent them from shifting when sewing.
4. I used colored wrapped elastics for the closures ..the ones used for gathering hair into pony tails...rather than the plain 1/4" white elastic that the pattern calls for. Looks sooooo much better.