Big hugs to all of you who took the time to say thanks for my latest First Friday Freebie! I really appreciate it!
What a strange winter it has been so far. If you recall, this was the view across the street just this past Thursday afternoon…
and here is the same view this morning.
It almost looks like spring, doesn’t it? Wishful thinking!
And here is what’s left of the snow!
In the meantime, I’ve been spending some quality time in my studio. I managed to finish my wonky pinwheels mini made from Kathie’s tutorial which you can read about here.
And here’s the back. I just love this reproduction fabric with the bees and have used it several times to back other quilts as well.
I didn’t forget to add my new label either!
This is my first finish that will go into a special bin that will house all my hand made finishes to be given as Christmas gifts this year.
Darlene of Quilting Daze is taking over the hosting of the Christmas Through The Year challenge and I decided to join in as an incentive to try to make at least one project each month that will be used for a Christmas gift. Click on the button below and you can read all about it.
Lori is hosting a quilt-along on her blog called Humble Quilts. She has reproduced an antique quilt and is providing us with the instructions so that we can make one of our own. The pace is very leisurely and if you’d like to join in, you may read about it here.
You had me at the churn dash…or shoofly blocks, Lori!!
The first step is done!
And now to tell you about my trials and tribulations with the 12 Days of Christmas mystery quilt that you see all over blogland.
I thoroughly enjoyed making the 12 little 3 1/2” blocks that make up this charming sampler. Every one went together quickly and easily and finished at a perfect 3 1/2”.
Yesterday I decided be a good girl and to follow the instructions that were provided to finish piecing the top.
I cut the sashing and border strips precisely. However, when I assembled the top, a few of the vertical 3 1/2” sashing strips did not line up with the ones below and this was the first of several incidents that started to make me crazy. I should have stopped there and regrouped but I didn’t.
You’d think by now that I would have learned to trust my inner instincts.
Then, to make matters worse, when I added the borders, I really had to ease them in to make them fit. Just look at how wavy they turned out! I know I’m my own worst enemy when it comes to perfection but this was just NOT ACCEPTABLE!
So I walked away from it and made lunch for Mr. Painted Quilt and myself.
I was hoping that the quilting faeries would do their thing while I was in the kitchen, away from the studio….but…
I think they must have misplaced my address because nothing had changed when I returned. Drat!
~ * ~ * ~ * ~
Solution? I unpicked the entire thing and redid it…with a few changes.
Using the fabric that I had cut for the borders above, I not only applied a sashing between the blocks but under them and down the entire length of the sides as well and connected them with cornerstones. This allowed each piece to nest perfectly, without any easing at all. I also increased the width of the sashing to 1 1/2” and decreased the size of the outer border to 2 1/2”.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Now I’m a happy
camper quilter and will finish it rather than throw it in the trash like I was going to do. I’m even going to make a second one to add to my ‘Christmas Through The Year’ container.
This Friday I go to Halifax for the final consultation with the radiation oncologist before my treatments begin on the 23rd. It’s going to be a long six weeks of treatments but I’m in it for the duration and continue to remain very positive.
Please continue to keep in in your thoughts and prayers. I gather strength from you all.