Sunday, September 12, 2010

Wool Crazy Pincushion Tutorial

Remember when I showed you this?  

WC Pincushion Swap

Many of you asked if I would show you how to make one either as a FFF or as a tutorial.  Since October’s FFF is already done, I decided to do a tutorial instead.

ShabbyBlogsDividerNSM

At the outset, let me say that all the wool that I used came from scraps that I have saved over the years.  Whenever I work with wool, I save all the bits and pieces and store them by color in separate zip lock bags.  When I’m working on a project that requires small pieces of wool in a specific color, I just reach into the plastic bin that holds all my baggies of scrap wool and pull out the appropriate bag.

If for whatever reason you don’t have any wool or you might be allergic to wool (perish the thought), you can also make this pincushion in the exact same way that I am about to show you using fabric.  The instructions are identical.

ShabbyBlogsDividerNSM

The pincushion pictured above now resides in Connecticut.  I made it specifically for a pincushion swap that I took part in on the Jo Morton Yahoo group.  At the time I made that base, I made three additional ones and used the last remaining one for this tutorial.  As you will see, most of the elements are the same but I’ve added a few new ones as well.

This is the one we’ll be working on today.

SAM_0781

I’m not going to repeat how to make the base because I’ve already covered that step HERE.  I would recommend that you review that step first and read through the entire tutorial to familiarize yourself with the steps.

I made the base for this particular pincushion at 6” in diameter.

SAM_0744

Once you have constructed the base, you will need to trace the elements  to be appliquéd onto a piece of fusible web following the manufacturer’s instructions.  I use Steam-a-Seam 2 and find that works best to accommodate the weight of the wool.

SAM_0747

The PDF file for the line drawings of these shapes is available HERE.

Cut around the shapes about 1/8” away from the line. 

SAM_0749

Place on the appropriate color of wool…

SAM_0750

And affix to the wool according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

SAM_0752

Then cut out the shapes to size along the drawn lines.

SAM_0755

Place the shapes on the prepared background and move them around until you are pleased with the layout.

SAM_0759

Affix to the background according to the manufacturer’s instructions then stitch around each of the elements with the appropriate color of thread/floss using the blanket stitch.

SAM_0760

Now comes the fun part…the embellishing!

The only rule when making crazy quilts or variations thereof is that there are NO rules.  Anything goes…color, type of stitch, French knots and add-ons such as seed beads, charms and ribbons, etc.

SAM_0763

The sky is the limit!

SAM_0768

Make sure that all of the overlapping seams are either stitched down with a decorative stitch or some decorative design to “seal” the edges and  remember to remove the basting stitches as you proceed.

ShabbyBlogsDividerNSM

Cut out a piece of backing the same size as the front.  I made mine from wool but you could also use flannel.

Place the front and back pieces wrong sides together and blanket stitch around the perimeter, leaving a 2” opening. 

The front…

SAM_0769

The back…

SAM_0771

Stuff with polyester fiberfil and stitch closed.

SAM_0782

And a few closer looks…

SAM_0785 

SAM_0786

SAM_0787

Have fun, enjoy and…

Happy stitching!

Kaaren ♥

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it...absolutely love that you have such a giving heart and are willing to share with the rest of us.

B J Elder said...

Great pincushion and tutorial. Thank you!

Zehra said...

Hello from Turkiye. Very good.thanks for details.

Taryn said...

Kaaren, this is just an amazing gift to everyone. Thank you! I am going to be hunting for some light blue wool. I think I have enough other colors to make it work. Thanks again!

Colleen said...

Kaaren thank you for the tutorial for wool crazy patch. I want to do a Christmas stocking, where could I find small applique designs appropriate for this project?

Sue said...

Great tute! Thanks for sharing Kaaren.

Elyte said...

You are so generous, thank you Kaaren. Every girl should have one!

Darlene said...

Another incredible tutorial - thank you so much! I am in constant awe of your talent, Kaaren. :-)

Colleen said...

Thank you so much Kaaren! This is just adorable.

Linda said...

oh how cute. thanks for the wonderful tutorial..

Cheryl said...

I am on my second one and will send everyone who wants to make their own your way.

Sandi said...

Great tutorial Kaaren, thanks for sharing the information and the shapes.

I picked up some new pieces of wool yesterday and am itching to do something with them.

I just may have to make a fall pin cushion for myself, then a winter, a spring and summer....there are no limits to celebrate sewing.

Julie said...

love, love, love it!
xox

Allie said...

Kaaren, this is just the most darling pincushion, thank you so much for the tutorial - I love it so much!

tami said...

Beautiful. Thank you for the tutorial. I love wool applique.

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Beautiful pin cushion. Truly a work of art. Thanks for the tutorial!

Elizabeth Ann said...

Thank you so much for sharing such a precious pattern. Maybe we could all come up with something and pass it along for the holiday season, a gift to our blogging friends. Thank-you for all the work that you did on the tutorial just for us!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Thank you Kaaren - it is so cute! I hope I can make one this winter.

Amy R said...

Thanks Kaaren for posting the tutorial~ Beautiful pattern and beautiful work.

May Britt said...

It's so cute !!! Now I have to look for some wool to make it. This is not what I have in my stash :)

Barbara J said...

You are a gem Kaaren! Thank you for taking the time and effort to come up with this tut. I love it!

RG said...

W*O*W* It's gorgeous!! Just like you, you beautiful girl!! Thankyou for sharing and showing.
hugs
Rob xx

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for your generous gift of this tutorial and pattern. I love all the little extras on your pincushions, they make for a delightful treasured gift from the heart.

marina said...

Thanks for your tutorial.
I love the pieces you have put on yours!
I will make one for myself soon!

Kim D. said...

Your pincushion is so adorable Kaaren!! Thanks for so generously sharing the tutorial with us.

martine said...

Thanks for sharing. Love the pincushion.

Elinor said...

Oh ! Thanks a lot, Kaaren, for the tutorial. I love, absolutely love, this pincushion !
Hugs from France,
Sylvie

Jenny's Place Online said...

Gorgeous pincushion, Kaaren :) Thank you! Happy crafting, Jenny

Janet said...

Wow, it's gorgeous and so very generous of you to share. I'm going to have alook if I can find some bits of wool. Thanks again because we can't have too many pincushions.

Abby and Stephanie said...

You are THE most generous blogger with your tutorials and freebies. That is an amazing pincushion.

Lori said...

Excellent tutorial Kaaren! It's adorable!!

Stitched With Prayer said...

Terrific tutorial Kaaren! Thank you for sharing your wonderful design with us. I definitely have to try this one. Love it! Hugs...

Sherry said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I am going to go home tonight and get started on this. I love working with wool and wool felt. I always enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

Karen...you are so talented! Thank you for sharing with all of us...this little pin-cushion is adorable!

Carrie P. said...

thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to get one made but it will have to wait a little bit longer.

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful tutorial. I need to practice stitches, that is where I get stuck.

Debbie

Deanna said...

This is an absolutely adorable pincushion. I live in Iowa and have a new internet friend in Australia through a Christmas Swap. This would be a wonderful gift to send her as a surprise later. I'm definitely going to add this to my future project list. Thanks a Bunch!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh thank you so much for the tutorial! I will certainly have to try this!

Sinta Renee said...

I have been wanting to see how this was done! I love those sweet little pincushions... but have been afraid to attempt them! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial!

Carrie P. said...

Hey Kaaren,
I have been reading the directions for the pincushion again and just looked at the instructions for the base. Can you give me the measurement of the diameter of the plate you used? If you mentioned it forgive for not seeing it.

GranthamLynn said...

Love this thanks for sharing.
So much work and so pretty I think I would hate to stick pins in it!

Nancy Page said...

What a fun pincushion. Great tutorial as well. Thank you for sharing your talents. Love the pincushion.

Have a super great stitching day.

Cindy said...

Kaaren, Kaaren, Kaaren. It is simply WONDERFUL! Oh my word - it's so pretty.

Pretty in pink? Okay....
Pretty in Wool? PRICELESS !!!!!!

Sandy said...

Thanks Kaaren for sharing this great tutorial with us. Going to sort thru my wool this weekend!

Simone de Klerk said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Fleurette said...

I absolutely love your pincushion, thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial!

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

Thanks for this tutorial!!

Mosaic Magpie said...

I found your blog through Fiona, and I am so glad I did. Great tutorial and great looking pin cushion.
Debbie