As soon as I saw it, I knew it was something I just had to make .
I put off ordering the pattern until all my other commitments had been fulfilled. At the end of November when I could finally see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel, I placed the order for the pattern. Two weeks later, it arrived from Australia and I promptly set it aside until just yesterday. That’s when I took it out and I can now say that finally the journey of creating my version of the Civil War Bride Quilt has begun.
Even before I ordered the pattern, I knew I was going to make one major change. Rather than complete the quilt in the traditional needle turn applique method, I decided that I was going to do mine in wool on cotton.
Last night I cut out the required number of blocks and this morning, I cut out the wool shapes for the first block…
and affixed them to the background fabric using Steam-A-Seam 2.
Later tonight, the fun part begins…the stitching. I don’t know about you but I cannot sit in front of the television with idle hands. Most of my stitching is done in the evening while listening to the television and raising my eyes only when it sounds like something interesting is about to happen.
There are 20 good sized blocks to this quilt plus the four borders. This is definitely going to be a long term project but I do know one thing for certain…it’s going to be a long journey with many starts and stops along the way. But I also know that it’s going to be a pleasurable one.