Friday, August 21, 2009

Free Pattern!

In my travel teaching days and prior to my retirement, every October for about six years I used to teach decorative painting at a three day retreat in Ligonier, PA. After lunch on Sunday afternoon when everything had wrapped up for another year, my girlfriend and I used to travel to Lancaster County for two days to unwind and shop.

Lancaster County is particularly beautiful at that time of year. All the shops and houses are decorated for Fall, the leaves have started to change color and there’s a slight crispness to the air, especially in the evening. The last time I was there, amongst my many purchases, was a spray of rudbeckia…or black-eyed susans as they are more commonly known…and a salt glazed pitcher from Eldreth Pottery.

DSCN0905Below is a closeup of the rudbeckia spray and Eldreth pottery pitcher that I used as the set up for my painting.

DSCN0907Not long after returning home, I set them both out which ultimately was my inspiration to paint Memories of Lancaster County.

DSCN0897 That was a few years ago…before I started quilting.

Just last week when I was doing a walk-about in my gardens, I decided to cut some rudbeckia and bring them indoors to enjoy. Almost instantly, I was reminded of my Memories of Lancaster County painting which I immediately unpacked from amongst my Fall decorating items.

When I saw it again, the idea come to me about taking my original line drawing and working it into a stitchery project. Here’s what I came up with.

DSCN0901I used a tone-on-tone, vintage looking 13” x 16” piece of fabric for my background.

I then traced my line drawing onto the right side of the background fabric with a Micron, red ink permanent pen using my light box. If you don’t have a light box, you can trace the design using a window during the daytime.

I then backstitched the design with DMC 115 floss. This is a variegated floss which transitions from a dark crimson to cherry red many times throughout the entire length of the floss thereby creating interesting shading and highlighting. One skein will do.

When the stitching was completed, I trimmed the background fabric to 12” x 15”.

I used a dark red Civil War fabric for the 1” inner border and a brown with red design Civil War fabric for the 2” outer border. I then hand quilted it right through the stitched design as was done with traditional redwork and used a different red fabric for the binding.

Kaaren's line drawing_watermarked[1] Click on the black and white photo above to take you to the line drawing.

It is my intention to use my completed sample either as a swap or PIF gift. I invite you to throw caution to the wind and to use your creativity when you stitch this pattern. Please feel free to change the colors or to enlarge or reduce the pattern as needed.

Enjoy and as always…

Happy Stitching!

Kaaren ♥

52 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing a pattern. Your original painting is so well done. I have always wished I had more artistic talent than I do.

I like the pottery pieces I sew in your photograph!

Terry said...

That's so pretty Kaaren! Thanks so much for the pattern! :0)

ferne said...

Very beautiful! I copied this for a future project...thank you!

Jocelyn said...

Thank you Kaaren for such a sweet pattern. I really like your new header. It's feels very welcoming :-)

Donnelly said...

Can't wait to download your pattern, thank you. It has been a few days since I have stopped by; that being said, I love your new look!
Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

I love those who share....this is such an adorable little quilt. Dang Kaaren...your one talented cookie!!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Your so generous and your work is gorgeous. I've never been to Lancanster County, PA but hope to one day before the BIG move. It shall be in the Fall.

Cathi said...

Thank you very much for sharing this!! It's wonderful -- as is your original painting!

Behind My Picket Fence said...

Very, very nice. The painting is great but I love the way you turned it into a redwork project. I think your ideas are awesome.

Kate/Massachusetts said...

Karen, your design is lovely! I am curious why the leaves are numbered? Is that the order in which they are worked?

Thank you for sharing this beautiful stitchery!

dfuller55 at verizon dot net

Candace said...

Wow - aren't you just tickled at how your art has spilled over into quilting, Kaaren? I know I am!!
Thanks so much for making the pattern available to us - I will definitely stitch this one!
Cheers!

Pat said...

Thanks so much Kaaren. I love it. It is on the top of my to do pile. I like using that floss. The varigation is great in a redwork project.

Phyllis said...

Thanks so much for the pattern. I will definitely be using it either to paint or stitch!

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Kaaren,
I love the rebirth of your artwork, you may have started something there....and how very generous of you to share with us.

RG said...

I love this too!!
Thanks for sharing friend :D

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hi Kaaren!

What an absolutely GORGEOUS painting! Absolutely stunning! You are an incredibly talented lady. I love those colours... and the design, and EVERYTHING!

Thank you sweetheart for sharing your design with us! You are such a kind and generous soul!

Hugs and love
Vikki xoxo

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Kaaren, are you kidding, the painting is amazing, and then to make in to a stitched project, you have such talent, and you are so kind as to share your talent with others, it is truly amazing!!

Miriam said...

What a great idea!!

Love your new banner too.

Bunny said...

Your painting is just awesome wonderful work. Thanks for the download will see what I come up with. Very talented.

dotti white said...

Kaaren...this is sooooooo pretty! I love your artistic talent! Thank you for the line drawing/pattern. I am wondering how it would look if either the pitcher or black eyed susans were appliqued....hmmmmm....I love black eyed susans, too. Check mine out on my last blog post!

Susannah said...

Kaaren, there is no end to your wonderful talent! I thank you so very much for thinking of all of us out here with this terrific pattern. You are the best!

Friends,
Susannah

Annette said...

Thanks Kaaren. Such a pretty little quilt. You are so generous to share your talents with us all.

Béa said...

Thank you Kaaren for this beautiful pattern, I love flowers and will surely make it ! Your sample is wonderful !

Mel said...

Yay!! What a GREAT and GENEROUS idea! Thanks for sharing!! I think I might want to do an applique version too!

zigzago said...

Hi Kaaren, thanks for sharing this beautiful stichery! Your painting is wonderful! Everything ok over there? Yesterday I heard on the news you had quite bad weather! Within today I'll send you another recipie, hope the other one was tasteful? Hugs, Renata.

Darlene said...

Oh, Kaaren - this post is delightful and I love your line drawing. Definitely a must do!!!

ranette said...

Kaaren you are a very talented lady! The new header looks wonderful and the pattern is just as pretty as can be. Thank you!

Diane H said...

Hi Kaaren,
Your the best! Your "retirement" has been such a huge blessing to so many thank you for sharing with all of us. Love the new header and the new project - off to buy thread!! Hugs, Diane

Rumi said...

You are such a talented artist Kaaren! I have trouble drawing stick figures!
Thanks for the stitchery pattern--that, I think I can do! Yea!

Micki said...

The pattern is beautiful and thanks so much for sharing!
Micki

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a cool story! I love how timeless the inspiration was(is) and how you used it for different mediums too.


And thank you for sharing your drawing with all of us!! I saved it for the future!!

I hope you are having a great weekend and I can't wait to see what you blog about next.

Linda said...

Wow!!! you cease to amaze me. I love,love your painting, and then to make it into a drawing for us to share..... Now how do I copy it?

The Rabbit Factory said...

You are just amazing, Kaaren!

Julia said...

it's gorgeous Kaaren..
thank you!

Rose Marie said...

You are a fantastic painter and your stitchery is lovely, too!

Heidi said...

This is so pretty Kaaren! What a wonderful thing to translate a warm period spent away into decorating, a painting and now a little stitchery quilt. Just perfect! You are amazing as to how many things you create in such a short time. My weekend was spent with wood. I helped Jos made mitered corners using my quilting experience...lol. You can see it on my other blog TheCranberryChronicle. I am still sewing little pillows for the tutorial for the patchwork wreath and then see this and feel inspired to try it.

Hugs and happy Sunday ~
Heidi

Carrie P. said...

Girl you are just oozing with talent. Thanks for sharing. I already have an idea how I will do the pattern but I am going to wait a few months because I really want to get some other things done.

Nanette Merrill said...

I love Lancaster county this time of year. Miss it!!

Francien said...

Oh Kaaren its such a lovely picture...is there anything you can,t do?! my guess is not much...and thank you for the little tutorial and stitchery pattern...i just love that!!..its on my to do list...glad you still had the painting...and thanks again for sharing the lovely stitchery off it and it is always lovely to read your blog...such lovely stories...
greetings Francien.

Khris said...

Lovely stitchery Kaaren..thanks for sharing it...I have put a link to it on my freebies blog...hugs Khris

Unknown said...

Wow Karen this is wonderful thank you! Your printing is beautiful. Lancaster County, oh how I miss it...but you captured it's beauty, thank you for the memory,

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a great pattern.

I've stayed on your blog listening to your playlist and was amazing at how many of the song I could sing along with.....grin.

Maya said...

Thanks for the free pattern! I love the painting also... it's a great pair!

Vanessa said...

Oh my , as soon as I saw the line drawing I fell in love. It is so pretty! Thank you for sharing your talent with the rest of us
Vanessa in Upstate NY

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Thank you for the free pattern. It is lovely. I am looking forward to stitching this one. Very nice blog. I enjoyed browsing through it. :-) Karen

Unknown said...

than you for your patterns. wondefull blog. hugs

Tammy in Ontario, Canada said...

Thanks so much for this very pretty pattern.

golo8 said...

You have a lovely site and I hope to visit often... love the music you play also...

elliesue said...

Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us. It is so beautiful and is crying out for something beautiful to be done to it.

Atelie Patchmania said...

I love your patterns!!! Thank you for them. Every month I visit you to see the new one.
I´m from Brazil and I have a blogspot too that I think you would like to visit.
http://ateliepatchmania.blogspot.com
Hugs, Angela

Atelie Patchmania said...

Thanks a lot for the pattern! i´ll use it on a patchwork.
I have a blog too:
http://ateliepatchmania.blospot.com
I live in Brazil.

Hugs, Angela

Anonymous said...

Wow Kaaren...I loooove this piece in the painted version and the stitched version...BES's are one of my favorite summertime flowers!
Just spectacular work!!
patti