After initially cutting out the pattern this morning, it appeared that it was going to be too small so I made a few adjustments and enlarged it about 2" all around. Next, I went through my scrap bin and selected a bunch of fabrics that I liked, then cut and pieced them together to fit the altered pattern size. The original pattern called for plain yardage but I went for the scrappy look.
I used a bunch of civil war fabrics which I love and it took about 4 hours from start to finish to complete. It probably would have taken less time but I sewed the binding on by hand because I didn't want the stitching to show.
This was also the first time I tried machine quilting. It took a while to master the hand-eye coordination thing but having my tongue out the side of my mouth helped a lot and as a result, it didn't turn out too badly. I did a simple random stipple pattern and held my breath the whole time.
We're supposed to have a flash freeze tonight after all this rain. My DH and I are planning to go to the BIG city tomorrow to do some shopping but it's all going to depend on the roads. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because the BIG city always includes a stop at the quilt shop. And if we go, I'll be able to use my new purse!