Thursday, February 5, 2009

Decorating for Valentine's Day

I love to decorate for the seasons and certain holidays. My favorite is Fall, then Christmas and then Easter. The only other "day" I decorate for is Valentine's Day but no where near to the extent of the others. Today I decided to take my Valentine stuff out.

I have a few red glass heart ornies, different sizes of red glass bottles, a vintage heart shaped tin, a half dozen or so repro vintage Valentine postcards, a red berry garland with hearts and of course...a quilt! A gal from the guild that I belong to designed this table topper which I made last Spring and decided to use it as part of my Valentine Day tribute.

I used a variety of fat quarters and leftover scraps. This was my first attempt at mitered corners on the red polkadot border and I used a vintage cherry pattern fabric for both the binding and backing.

It's not a large quilt measuring approximately 36" x 36" and I cross-hatched the quilting. It's displayed on an antique pine shaker style table which we use as an island in the kitchen. And there's Lola, posing so beautifully in front.


Rose Marie said...

I love your quilt and how you have it displayed. As a general rule, I don't use table toppers, but that could now change.

Carrie P. said...

Such a nice cheery quilt to put out in the dead of winter. It is beautiful! Give Lola a hug for me. She's got a sweet face.

Julie said...

Lola is just gorgeous!
julie :)

Sheri Howard said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog...and what a nice surprise to see your blog....I LOVE your hand quilted seems to be a lost art now days. I liked your "Tisket" BOM, I think they are going to be sooooo fun to make. Happy Sewing!

Pat said...

I love you quilt. It is so cute displayed that way. I have very few Valentines Day decorations too. I think that I will do something about that.

Annette said...

Such a pretty quilt, perfect for Valentines Day. I love the colors.